Sunday, June 5, 2016

Epic move


It's hard to believe I am actually saying this, but we have moved and are settling in to our new home! Whew, this was one hard earned house. We started this process with the listing of our old house back in October, and tomorrow the final papers will be signed. Funds have been transferred from the sale of our old house and we close on the new one tomorrow. The seller was kind enough to let us move in this weekend prior to closing. So we packed up on Thursday and here we are. For the first time, last night we walked around in the yard and accepted the fact that this is our new house, and we are in utter disbelief that it has finally happened!


We hired Two Men and a Truck to move us. This is the third time this company has moved us and its always a pleasure. Their staff is professional, friendly and for us they have always been funny and seem to really enjoy what they are doing. It makes things so much better when people are handling your grandmother's heirlooms if you feel like they care. And they are pretty affordable.


I didn't even have to take my loom apart, they just wrapped it and handled it with care, and it arrived all in one piece.


I walked into our empty house for the last time and my heart began to beat a little faster. So many memories in this house, but it was really time to go. There were no tears, just a little lump in my throat and then it was gone.


 I have moved with a one year old, I have moved with two dogs, a bird and this cat in my car, I have moved in a tiny Volkswagon, but moving with this cat is the worst. She howls the entire time. Sometimes she craps, sometimes she vomits, sometimes she does both. I have tried putting her in a carrier, in a box, and this time I just put a milk crate over her in the front seat. And she proceeded to get her head stuck while she howled. If you saw my instagram, you know what I'm talking about!


I finally got her unstuck and let her just roam around in the car. All the while going 65 mph down I40.
She is about 16 years old, and I was afraid she might have a heart attack or something. But she survived and has explored every inch of the house. She seems content.


We went back for the chickens the next day because the coop I ordered from my company hasn't arrived yet, and we left them in their old coop for one more day. This is also epic, moving chickens, although they handled it better than the cat. Until we got to our new house and they met the neighbor's rooster, who apparently thinks he lives with us....


This is a pretty cool rooster. Our chicks freaked out when we let them out of the car. He didn't really attack them, but he wanted to get to know them, if you know what I'm saying. Etta, my more docile chicken, kinda the mother hen, is smitten. She thinks he's her boyfriend. He comes around here at 6am and starts cock a doodling. I hated this at our old house with the mean old rooster that lived next door, but for some reason I don't mind this guy. I got up, fixed myself a cup of tea, and went out in the yard to watch our chickens figure this out. He is like a border collie with some sheep. He herds them around but in a gentle way. He isn't aggressive and seems to really think this is his job, to look after my girls. Its so fun to sit on the porch and watch this.

I feel very blessed, relieved, exhausted, and I wish more than anything that Wesley was here to enjoy this with us. This house is amazing and I still can't believe it is ours. I'l post some fotos once I get some made. We have unpacked about a third of our stuff. Today we tackle the pod, ugh.....
But we are home at last.

18 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Best news I have heard in a long time.

Vicki said...

... "we are home at last".
Those words are the best!

So very happy for you guys!
xxx

Debbie said...

So happy for you. Living vicariously as we searched for our dream house in the country for years, but had to give up when we started raising our grands. One is disabled and needs the convenience of hospitals and therapists. And our 16 year old Maine coon howls all day too,
I know you miss your girl, but this childless chapter will be great. Enjoy,

cookingwithgas said...

Happy Days! I want to come over when you get all settled in and are ready for us to drive out to see you in your new digs. Peace and happiness.

Anna M. Branner said...

Hallelujah! The great thing about UNpacking is that really there is no rush. You can do it at the pace you decide. Enjoy!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks everyone!!!! You have been with me in spirit through this crazy journey, I so appreciate the warm wishes and support!!
Anna, I keep remembering something you said in a previous post about packing and purging, and you were so right, there are things that will be easier to give up now, they just don't fit.

Margaret Brampton said...

So glad you're in your new home.We moved last October after a very bumpy moving experience. We still haven't unpacked and are beginning to feel quite tired but we hope to unpack next week when the new floor is in! Congratulations and we toast this new chapter in your lives.

Philadelphia Gardener said...

Congratulations! A great move forward!

ShellHawk said...

I wish you all good things in your new place!

There's nothing like a fresh start to get the creative juices going, so enjoy every minute! :D

littlemancat said...

So happy for you! What a journey! And now to start on this new path.

Mary

Michèle Hastings said...

So happy for you guys!

oldgreymareprimitives said...

You know how happy I am for you <3

Susan Wells said...

Looks idyllic! We LOVE! to sit and watch chickens too:)

Tracey Broome said...

Thank you thank you for the good wishes!!!! Most appreciated, all of you!!!
xoxo

Brenda Neall said...

Whew! .... It's been a long journey for you .... all the best in your new home .... love, love the chicken story ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!

Tracey Broome said...

THANKS!! xoxo

Laura Farrow said...

welcome home, neighbor!!!! WHOOP! 💚