Thursday, October 2, 2014

New wheels,new job







Gerry got me some new skateboard wheels for my 54th birthday. My neighborhood is suicidal for a rusty skater like me, lots of steep hills. I went and got a helmet and all sorts of crash pads, never wore anything like this before to skate, but I think I might break a lot easier than when I was 15. 
Still, we went out tonight, Gerry has a long board, and I have this old school Alva, which I recently found on eBay for $200. I'm sure our neighbors wondered what the hell of couple of old folks like us were doing. We have a great hill where Gerry can scream down the hill, and a place where I can gently coast. It's like having a black diamond and a bunny slope on the same hill. We had soooo much fun, Stayed out until it got too dark to see, and I'm feeling more and more steady on my board. It felt good to ride again. I got this thing before I turned 21 and it's still a great board. This photo of me was a bit of a shock, I have never looked so much like my dad in a photo, just my face part is like looking at a photo of him. Even Gerry thought so, it was kind of unsettling......
Click my Instagram on the right to check out a video of Gerry riding, the man is a freak of nature!

Oh yeah, so I also got a part time job at a local antiques/ gifts shop that I have been a fan of since we moved here. They had a sign at the door that they were looking for help, and what do YA know, I'm looking for an income! The store is great, really like the folks that work there, they all love the same things I love, books,old stuff, rusty stuff, soap, interesting things to look at...... I think it will be fun. I'll bathe, brush my hair, put on clean clothes and be with other people. I might even remember how to do all of this! Then I'll come home and go skateboard!

13 comments:

Vicki said...

Awesome! You and Gerry are so cool :)
Have heaps of fun!
And, huge congrats on the job...

Sandy Miller said...

OMG! so much fun! are you boarding to work?
I'm still hunting for part time……. sounds like like you found the perfect fit and feeding your creative side! Congrats!!

Dennis Allen said...

Well. now you've given the neighbors something else to talk about. I think the show will be complete when you get one of the chickens to sit on the helmet as you go down the road.Take it from someone who has had a couple of concussions, the helmet is a good idea.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Vicki, thanks. Yeah, we were always called the "cool parents" by all of the other parents, like it was a bad thing, but I think being cool is just being young at heart and enjoying life!
Sandy, no boarding to work, I wouldn't survive the traffic!
Let's hope this job works out, child needs groceries!
Dennis, I did try on a helmet with a red Mohawk, but a chicken on top would be so much better! Anything to keep the neighbors entertained, haha!

littlemancat said...

Love what you're doing - those wheels are beautiful! I thought they were glass bowls until I read on. Shows you how little I know about it - ha,ha!
Have fun, and congrats on the new job. Sounds great!
Mary

cookingwithgas said...

You are such a hotrod! Love the outfit and that you are willing to get out there and do it. A job, working for someone is such a new concept for me. I do like that payday.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Mary, yeah back in the day, these were the wheels to have, Gerry had to order them, they are considered "vintage" or "retro", haha, just like me!
Meredith, that would be "hotshot" as my dad used to call me, haha! Certainly looking forward to a payday, it's been awhile, of course, it's also been awhile since I worked for someone besides myself, that might prove interesting....

Lori Buff said...

So much fun, can you skateboard to work? Congrats on the job. I hope you love it.

Melissa Rohrer said...

Tried out my son's skateboard once. It wasn't pretty.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Very cool that you guys are skateboarding together! :)
Tessa
wwclay.weebly.com

Judi Tavill said...

You rock.... all around.... I am a bad bad bad blogger...

Shannon said...

now, that's a good midlife-time-for-a-challenge vehicle!

Tracey Broome said...

Hey y'all, thanks for the comments, got a little behind here on replies! I hate when that happens!!