Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Paradox of our Age



THE PARADOX OF OUR AGE

We have bigger houses but smaller families;
more conveniences, but less time;
We have more degrees, but less sense;
more knowledge, but less judgement;
more experts, but more problems;
more medicines, but less healthiness;
We've been all the way to the moon and back,
but have trouble crossing the street to meet
the new neighbor.
We build more computers to hold more
information to produce more copies then ever,
but have less communication;
We have become long on quantity,
but short on quality.
These are times of fast foods
but slow digestion;
Tall men but short character;
Steep profits but shallow relationships.
It's a time when there is much in the window,
but nothing in the room.

The 14th Dalai Lama
(This was on the wall hanging Tashi and Jamphel gave us
no truer words....)

9 comments:

oldgreymare said...

Amen..I am constantly preaching for all of us to stop the glorification of busy..

small and simple suits me now
more than ever before

Philadelphia Gardener said...

Less is more . . .

and more is less.

Tracey Broome said...

Suzan, YES! Small and simple works for me!
Less IS more, so true

Michèle Hastings said...

everyone should have those words hanging in their kitchen!

littlemancat said...

Oh yes, we feel so much better when we practice small and simple, all part of "getting over ourselves" I think. And hard to do sometimes, isn't it? Just read "The Calligrapher's Daughter" by Eugenia Kim - a good read - where the character of the mother follows the idea of putting others first. I know this can backfire, but it can surprisingly liberating. I've been working on that...
Sorry to be so long-winded,
Mary

Sandy Miller said...

This should be hanging on everyone's wall......

I think we have busied ourselves out of life.....

DirtKicker Pottery said...

A paradox in deed.

I know it's a huge message, but what really strikes me is the part about communication. So many people (family included) are replacing phone calls with texting and Facebook as a means of keeping in touch. Have you ever received a Happy Birthday text? It feels very empty.

Vicki said...

I've had a printed copy of The Paradox for years now. Always loved those words.
It's not on such a beautiful wall hanging as yours - such a lovely reminder.
The past few weeks has enriched your life beyond words.
And I'm sure the experience will be reflected in your beautifully soul-full work :)

smokieclennell said...

Boy, I wish I could phone you! thanx for that one. t