Monday, May 20, 2013

An Important companion

 Our kitchen/dining table is probably the most used piece of furniture in our house. I bought this antique English pine farm table before Wesley was born, knowing that it would see us through many years of family meals and it has. It looked so pretty tonight as we were getting ready to sit down and have supper, I took a photo for you.
As Wesley was setting the table she got out our cups. Each of us has a yunomi that Hollis Engley made. Wesley picked out hers when we stayed with them at Cape Cod, it had a tiny place that was unglazed and it leaked, even though it was a beautiful thing, and Hollis sent another one. That one she took to school. She took one bowl, one spoon, one fork, one cup, that cup (the one behind the bunny in the photo above).

Tonight as she was holding it, she said to me, "this cup was an important companion to me this past year." Sigh........... could a potter hear words any sweeter to their ears?

She continued to say that she drank everything from that cup, water in the morning, hot tea, warming hot chocolate, comfort to her on those cold dark lonely nights in her dorm. She had some very lonely times, but she found comfort with this cup. I think that speaks volumes to those of you that make functional pottery. So here is to all of you that make beautiful work that brings a smile, a moment of joy or comfort, or laughter, or a memory long forgotten. Thank goodness artists are not easily defeated!

Taking my girl to the beach this week for some head clearing. She went with her dad to cover the Nascar race in Charlotte this past weekend, and I think her head is about to come undone from the shear intensity of this southern unexplainable sport.....  Gerry has covered Nascar for almost thirty years now. Last night Wesley said, "I just don't see how he does what he does." I don't either, but he does it well.

Peace to those of you in Oklahoma, prayers for all
xo

13 comments:

Sandy Miller said...

Just sat down to watch the news...... Prayers and more. No words.....

Both my kids used to go the college clay studio when they got home sick. Both have exactly what Wesley has in the world of kitchenwares...... Well maybe be a few more after last weekend.

Enjoy the beach and head clearing :)

oldgreymare said...

I so connect with this post. Seems I have talismans of sorts surrounding me everywhere..I even take some when I leave the house.On my keyring a small folding knife of my Dad's, and my business cards in his leather case...In my car, in the visor, a small note saying I love you...my son left it on my windshield when he noticed my car parked at a movie theater. My favorite cup, pajamas, bowl, hair brush, and pen..I am such a creature of habit and needed comfort. We imprint on special things I believe. <3

Dennis Allen said...

I think Wesley has summed up why I make pots.

Unknown said...

Tracey, I wish i could write a blog post like you can. Beautiful post, beautiful pots. I bet Hollis will be happy. I need to buy more pots, i need more money! x

Cat's Ceramics said...

Aww man that warms my heart. Thanks Tracey and thanks Wesley x

Lori Buff said...

It's not just making pots, it's making joy, making connections, making memories,...it just looks like a pot.

Unknown said...

and I hope you had a lovely weekend at the beach~
:)

Hollis Engley said...

As Scott said, Hollis is definitely happy. Sentiments like hers - and her mom's also - are the kind of thing that keep me making pots. I love that. Wish there were more like Wes. Tracey, tell her that any time she needs a pot, just let me know.

littlemancat said...

Wesley has a beautiful soul - love her connections with things. I remember a special mug I used all through college- oh the black coffee I used to consume! This post makes me want to search through my shelves to find that beloved mug. Wish I knew who that long ago potter was.
Cheers!
Mary

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

This is such a lovely, lovely post. (I also love that bunny on your table.)

Vicki said...

This post so touched my heart. xx

Tracey Broome said...

Hey guys,glad you enjoyed the post,Wes and I are here at the beach enjoying a sweet ocean breeze! Back to blogging soon....

Shannon said...

hey Tracey, lurking and catching up here. Glad to see such lovely pix of the beach, one of my fave areas--Myrtle and Atalaya, the waters, Wesley, your work. Gestation periods can be frustrating and confusing, but no worries. When your creative zone is ready to birth again, it will.