Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Do what I want to....

 It was nice to get back on my wheel last week and throw some bowls, get that out of my system. I like throwing bowls, I like making little barns, and I like making pendants. So why spend time making things I don't really like making? Or spend time doing things I don't like doing?
I have been thinking a lot about that and I have started marking things off my list. I withdrew from the CDCG board and the Chatham Artists board. I like the people involved a lot, and I like what they represent, but I get bored in those meetings, haha. My mind starts to wander, and the meetings always end with me realizing I missed most of what went on. So why spend my time there when I have so many other things going on in my life. I am also passing over exhibitions that require money to enter. If I applied to every show I have received emails about this month, I would have already spent about $300. Why bother? also passing on those expensive shows. A few affordable ones I will do, but $1000 booth fees? really?
I signed on to do props and help with the set for the Artcenter's production of Walt, a musical about Walt Whitman. I went to the first production meeting this past weekend, and was nearly giddy I was so happy to be doing theater work again.
I thought that I was over the barn thing, but I made some today and we still like each other. I'll make more, just not like the ones I made last year. No more of those. There are plenty out in galleries that represent my work, so I see no need to make more. I want to do something else. Little ones, more sculptural, less expensive, more accessible.....




 I don't know about the dark clay. I like my white clay, my white studio, I spent forever today cleaning up red clay from my tools and boards so I can throw some white stoneware bowls. It may have to be one or the other, we'll see..... if the glaze tests come out good, and you know they will since I have doubts, the red clay might stay.....
Trish, the photo on the right is for you. I realized I forgot to respond to your question about how I raku fire beads. I have tried lots of ways, but for a quick and dirty tool, one of my students came up with this tree. It's just a lump of clay, I hollowed out the bottom, and I stuck in high temp wire. These things hold up to lots and lots of firings, unlike other things I have tried. I have three that I have had for four years now, and I made a new one so I can fire lots more.
I made some more test tiles and built some new shelves in my studio today for my glaze ingredients. 
Tomorrow more white clay work and trimming bowls. Seriously taking advantage of this nice weather while I can. Sorry for you folks up in the northern polar regions, but I had my studio door open today and had a t-shirt on.... I know...... it won't be too much longer.....

My blog pals Dennis and Judi both posted thoughtful blogs this week and it gave me a lot to think about today. I was going to continue the thread, but for some reason, I am drawing a blank on what to say. I'm sure in the wee hours when I don't sleep, something will come along.

I heard on the radio today that the Year of the Snake is about rebirth and transformation, and it is sure feeling like that here in the Broome household. All of us are going through some changings.. it feels exciting!
Meanwhile, I'm just going to do whatever I feel like doing and not worry too much about who is liking what I do and who will buy what. I'm just putting it out there for whomever may come along and like what I do!

Peace ya'll
xo

10 comments:

Trish said...

Hi Tracey.. Thanks for the advice about raku firing pendants..:)..will maybe give that a try..it is a good idea. I need to get some of the wire,though. I was cleaning out the studio too today..yay...it does feel good!
Enjoy doing what you want..so it should be!look forward to seeing bowls and barns...:)..Cheers. T.

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Trish, sorry I spaced on replying to you!

Susan Wells said...

This is almost one of Jonas' favorite lines when I've asked him to do something or made some sage suggestion: "I do what I want Mama." Yah! Oh! Rock it!

Anonymous said...

"rebirth and transformation"...oh, I hope so. Approaching some hopefully big changes in the next few months & coming to places like yours gives excitement and courage- thanks, Tracey.

Dennis Allen said...

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Thanks for the shout out.

Vicki said...

It's the best way, to follow your own lead. Listen to you and open your mind to the possibilities.
“The wisest people follow their own direction.” -Euripides

Along with re-birth and transformation and introspection this year, there will be unexpected twists and turns - just like the way a snake moves.
And, as it is a (black) water snake, we'll need more than ever to "go with the flow" :)

Lori Buff said...

So much of our creative lives is spent doing things we don't love doing like paying taxes, we should LOVE the creation part. If you don't then stop.
I use a few different clays going from light to dark, when my studio is clean I work in the white clay and move through to the darkest over a few weeks, then I clean the studio and tools well and start over.

Tracey Broome said...

Susan, those Taurus babies, I think I channeled Wesley for my title, still hear her say that quite a bit!
Hi Cindy, I feel the same about your blog xo
Hi Dennis, love your last post, gave me something to think about:)
Hi Vicki, wise words indeed, thanks!
Lori, that seems like a good rhythm going from light to dark, I did just the opposite, haha, like your plan better!

Laura Farrow said...

NOW you're talkin'! That's my girl. xo

Tracey Broome said...

Xoxo
Yes ma'm