Thursday, October 18, 2012

Doors and Drawers

 I forgot to post this photo that my friend Barbara shot when we were in Seagrove. check out the Pottery sign. There was no pottery inside, but I do remember when there was a whole shop in the back, it was weird. Guess they pulled out.... I always stop here to pee, haha!
 I met my good friend and past pottery teacher Deb Harris last week for lunch and she brought show and tell. A while back she took a workshop at Penland with Lana Wilson and they made boxes. Deb, being the constant teacher that she is, thought I might like to see the technique so she brought along a couple of the boxes she made. I definitely see some potential for using this technique but it might take me a couple of tries to get it right.
 I made this box, as per Deb's instruction put a rib down the middle inside to give the drawer a track to slide on. The drawer front is larger than the hole I cut so it overlaps the hole, making it a cleaner look.
 I put a lip on the back of the drawer to act as a drawer stop so it doesn't pull out all the way.
The pins you see on the left are high fire and Deb brought them for me to use as hinges for the door construction.
 This is sort of the finished box. The drawer pull is a gear I found in a box of odd screws and gear parts. It's pretty cool, took me forever, but I think once I get the bugs worked out, it will go faster. I like the idea of having drawers to pull out with a surprise inside.... we'll see how patient I am with this process. Who knows where it might lead though....
 Here is a house with a door, although it's a bit wonky, still need to work on this a bit too. The pins slide in the bar above and below the door and into the door and it swings! I think the framing needs a little work though. I was more concerned with getting it to swing right, but how fun to have a swinging door! And I made a little niche behind the door so something could be tucked inside. Lots of possibilities.....
This wasn't the greatest how to, I didn't think about taking photos until I was halfway through the process, sorry!

10 comments:

ang design said...

lovin nooks and crannies trace... peeps have to look inside of things, so what are you going to stash???

Anna M. Branner said...

The one with the door? I'd love a lit candle (or one of the battery type) inside. With the door closed (and not a perfect fit...), you could see light through the crack around the door. For some reason I love that symbol for warmth...at home. I know you will take this somewhere cool!!

Susan Wells said...

OPEN SESAME!!! Prizes inside.....

cookingwithgas said...

ice, ice baby....no pots inside.
I love the thought of drawers and what you could put in them.
A new adventure for you!

smartcat said...

I love watching your work evolve...doors and drawers...oh my!

Lori Buff said...

Lana Wilson was at Callenwold a few years back and I had the good fortune to go and see her make these boxes with working drawers. She is so fun.
I can't wait to see what you do with this, it looks like good stuff already.

Hannah said...

Drawers and doors, just magical.

Quietly Otaku said...

Wow amazing to see into your process, fascinating!

Shannon said...

and I like the mechanical up against that soft simple clay, the complex against the plain or plane. Drawers are the perfect evolution. Wonky's good, too, as the boxes start to express their inner selves. :)

Shannon said...

and I like the mechanical up against that soft simple clay, the complex against the plain or plane. Drawers are the perfect evolution. Wonky's good, too, as the boxes start to express their inner selves. :)