Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Being stoned

When I was in high school, I was a model, I had a job doing displays for Belk department stores and I ran with a much older crowd that was into scotch whiskey and cocaine. I was young and naive but learning quickly from these guys I was hanging with. One beautiful spring day, there was a party in Murrells Inlet being given by the owner of a very fine restaurant in Myrtle Beach. I was invited by my older friends and I went. There was amazing food and alcohol and hash brownies. I was drinking white wine, eating garlic sauteed shrimp, crab salad and throwing down the brownies like there was no tomorrow. The sun was so warm after the cold winter, the dock that led out to the inlet was dappled with sunlight, the seagulls were calling to me. I wandered out onto the dock and woke up three hours later in a stoned stupor. I had no idea I had eaten brownies with hash in them and no idea why I was a complete zombie. All I did know was that I felt amazing and to this day I remember the feeling of that afternoon, lying in the sunlight on the sound. Every now and then I get a wiff of that day, usually on a day when I have had a really great meal, or in the spring, like now when the days are getting warm again. I have been feeling the call of those brownies and that dock this week with the weather so warm. I never had hash brownies again, but I will never forget the taste of them.....
Yesterday I had lunch with Hollis, well not physically, but his work was there. Here is a Hollis Engley tea bowl and serving bowl that gets a lot of use in our house. I sauteed some asparagus in olive oil and garlic, poured it over some baby spinach and topped with almonds and slivers of parmesan. It wasn't hash brownies but it was really good, and all the better for the pottery it was served in. I'm so glad there are makers of wonderful handmade items like this out there. Handmade crafts make life a much better experience. Thank you to all of the crafters of handmade goods!

16 comments:

eb said...

quiet
beautiful
greens and tans
sunshine...

xox - eb.

Unknown said...

nice post Tracey and nice picture. I could do with a nice dock to hang out on and some sunshine on my back right now. It's actually sunny and quite warm here today, but it's England, so it won't last!
Feeling your calm though, nice.(is that enough 'nice's' for one comment?!)

Tracey Broome said...

Hi EB, ironically it was finding your blog this morning that inspired this post, I loved your stones :)
Scott, yes, sunshine, vitamin D, and I am mostly calm though things are brewing on the inside a bit, ya know?!

Hollis Engley said...

I love seeing those pots used, Tracey. I know you understand what those kind of handmade things are made for.

Susan Wells said...

Yummmm! All around!

Tracey Broome said...

Hollis, we love using them!!
Susan, yes YUM!!!

cindy shake said...

lovely ;o)

Judi Tavill said...

Oh yes... I once had a day like that and I do know what you mean about something reminding you!

Do you think I can make gluten free hash brownies?

Kidding.

Sort of.

cookingwithgas said...

TB-:)......
I just used a favorite mug...love those handmade items.

Michèle Hastings said...

great story, nice pots.

i think i had too many of those kinds of days when i was in high school ;-)

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Cindy, thanks!
Judi, I don't see why not, use agave and spelt, hmmm...
Hey M. how do you choose, you have sooo many great mugs!
Michele, how did we ever survive our high school years, I wonder!

k.houser said...

Here's to hash brownies, sunshine and well used pots!

I second the motion...cheers!

Tracey Broome said...

YES!!

Michèle Hastings said...

Tracey... sometimes when I look back at the things I did in high school I think I am lucky to be alive!

Tracey Broome said...

I know exactly what you mean Michele. The only good it did me was being able to help Wesley learn from my mistakes!

Anonymous said...

where i can you get some good hash brownies these days? if you find out let me know