Sunday, January 1, 2012

This is the best CD I have bought in a very long time. Not a bad song on there!


 Hi there everybody! I hope everyone is having a great New Year's Day! I'm just home from visiting my mom in Myrtle Beach with Wesley. Gerry stayed home to get some rest and get to feeling better. The weather was amazing, the beach beautiful, a little bit crowded but not too bad, and my mom and I didn't have one single argument, a monumental occasion considering there was a time we couldn't be in the same room for five minutes without arguing about something.  I suppose one of us is maturing, just hard to tell which one :)
The drive from my house to Myrtle Beach is a long slow drive with nothing but farms, cotton, abandoned barns, run down houses, and a lot of bleak communities, especially when you get into South Carolina. I love it, it's my home. Poor Wesley had to endure my stopping to photograph old barns, and then I stopped and walked around for a while in a cotton field that was in the middle of nowhere. It had been picked already and I wanted some of the cotton for some of my work. I felt so much peace standing there. I thought about the lives that had lived in that field, the conversations that had taken place, the dreams, the sadness, the songs, the hard labor in that hot South Carolina sun, and the wind blew slightly down the rows of the cotton plants, and I felt the ghosts that live in the south all around me. I could have sat down in that field all day and soaked in the feelings I had there. It was a moment I'll remember for a while into this new year.
And then there was the ocean, another place for peace and healing and comfort. How do I live without this in my life everyday when this is where I grew up, this is where I found my refuge in a world I couldn't control. This is where my daughter and I found peace this week from the chaos of the holidays, and first year college blues (for both of us!). We talked and walked and just sat in the warm sun and let it work it's magic.

and we saw this movie, go see it, fantastic movie! I loved it.
So the new year is off to a good start, Wesley has some new goals to get through the next five months of school, I have some new goals for my studio and Gerry needs to get a grip on the stress his job brings on, changes in diet and lifestyle are in our future. I think it's going to be a good year (except for the election thing, which will be miserable at best!) Happy New Year to all of you. Next week I go buy clay, go see my uncle in rehab, go for a tarot card reading with Wesley, our fun New Years tradition, and go see the Rembrandt exhibit at the NC Museum of Art. That will be the end of our vacation, Wesley will head back to school, and I will get back to work. I'm looking forward to seeing what this year brings!

13 comments:

Melissa Rohrer said...

I really like that group. Coincidentally, a coworker of my husband has a son who is heading down to play with those guys.

Tracey Broome said...

That is sooo cool! They make a lot of music for just two guys!

Michèle Hastings said...

i miss being close to the ocean... in NH i was a 1/2 hour drive to the short NH coastline as well as Maine. i read the book... Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this summer and loved it. started to watch the subtitled version last month but couldn't get into it. definitely will see this version!
my work verification is PHATIE ... just the way i feel after eating all this holiday junk food!!!! time to make better choices in 2012.

Tracey Broome said...

I hear ya Michele! Every year I say I won't eat so much and then I do!
I liked this version of the movie, Wesley tried the other version and didn't like it. I'm now reading the second book.

cookingwithgas said...

We have one of their Cd's pretty good stuff and somehow I can see you dancing to this!
The ocean....I want- I thought about how wonderful the weather was for your trip. What a great holiday weather we had.
See you this week?

Tracey Broome said...

Hey M yeah I'll try to stop by, I think on Tuesday

Ron said...

Hey Tracey, I think it would be amazing to live near a big body of water or a large river. I don't know if we ever will but it's certainly alluring. I want to see the American version of the Girl w. DT. I tried the foreign version and gave up and then came back to it and quite liked it. I've watch all 3 of them now. I did read the books before and think they are amazing. Finally saw Super 8 last night and loved it.
Look forward to seeing what happens in your studio this year and I certainly need to get over for a visit. Hope you'll come by here too if you are ever out this way.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Ron, yes, we should all make plans to visit each other this year, that would be so fun! Looking forward to seeing where you go on this journey as well :)

Susan Wells said...

I love that video! Rock on! I thought of you when I read this post today: http://owlandcrow.saladd.com/2012/01/01/yemaya-goddess-of-the-new-year/

Gail said...

Saw the movie Christmas day...very true to the book...Loved it!
If you haven't done so, read the books...

just jody said...

I can remember when Myrtle Beach was a ghost town in the winter (my favorite time to go!)....but not anymore. The cotton fields around my community all look just like your picture. I noticed a field of millet that I wanted to photograph and when I went this past saturday I'd missed it.....looked just like the cotton field! Enjoyed the guy 'bust'n the moves' to your tune!

ang design said...

great film trace!!! I haven't seen the last one yet....you have everything planned out and I'm still chillin, the end of last year was madness so no knew plans as yet.. HNY xx

Lori Buff said...

Pretty soon Wes is going to want to stop every few miles to video something for her movies so this is just good practice for her.