Saturday, September 18, 2010

Room with a view

I got up this morning and had an email from Gerry with a picture of his view in Bermuda. At least if you have to suffer through hurricane coverage for the AP they give you a nice place to view it from! Gerry worked really hard to get where he is today, and this is the pay off. Not bad!
We met in college and even then he was about the only photographer in the program that wasn't playing. He was serious about what he was doing then and remains so today. His work ethic is amazing and quite the opposite of mine. He is steady and consistent, I am manic, either working like crazy for hours or doing nothing. Hopefully I'll get a bunch done while he is gone, but yesterday I battled a raku headache all day and getting up at 4am didn't help. Better today, so off I go. Thanks to everyone for their comments yesterday, what a nice way to start my morning, reading all of your comments!
Oh, by the way,
Propay: a couple of you mentioned this. I signed up yesterday for it and I can now take credit cards at festivals, which I have needed to do for about a year. I did a lot of research online for merchant services and the monthly fee in most cases seemed a bit high to me. I checked with my bank which was $55 per month, 4% on each transaction and .25 for some other fee I can't remember and a THREE year contract. Too much $$$ for me right now and who knows what I will be doing in three years. With Propay, it was a flat annual fee of $50 then a transaction percentage fee and there is a fee to transfer funds. These fees still seemed like less than the bank. I haven't used it yet, so I may be saying something different in a few months, but of all the services I talked to this one seemed the best. There is also a feature you can purchase (Judy) for $40 a year to have a shopping cart and buttons on your website, I will probably set that up eventually. So, I'll put it to the test in a couple of weeks and let you know.

6 comments:

cindy shake said...

I had to get caught up! Can't believe I missed THREE of your posts -geeze. Love the pears, even the blue one ;o) and Love your NEW header!! and I'd love even more to be having that view your sweetie has right now -we're in thick, cool, pea soup Fall fog...

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Cindy, stay with me girl I move fast!! Yeah, wish I was with Gerry but with better weather! Thanks, I like the pears and the header too. I made that sign for my upcoming show :)

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Wow, Gerry sure has a lot of adventures... Speaking of adventures, I'm following your experience with credit cards with interest. I hate the whole idea of it, but know that I need to get set up. Arrrggggh. Looking forward to hearing how that all turns out for you. I'm going to take the plunge in October.

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Patricia, if you google merchant services you will find more than you ever need to know. My experience is that the banks are less than helpful with negotiating fees and they seemed high to me.We'll see stay tuned! I'm not looking forward to doing it either but I think it's necessary.

Jen Mecca said...

I love the new top to your blog site. Very cool!

Trish said...

Tracey...I am just catching up too! :)..ya, you move fast .haha..
Great post..I love the barn close up...it looks great..there are layers there..looking really like weathered wood..Did you ever get my email question about the shape of barns here compared to North Carolina? Hope Gerry stays safe. The daughter of one of my best friends lives in Bermuda, so we are always alert to the weather there..
..and the new header is super..I have BUCKETS of shards..a new idea!:)..
..must post soon..have had company.
T.