Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oh my stars....and pears

First of all, a shout out to Festifall of Chapel Hill for featuring me on their Facebook page today, you can check out what's going on for Festifall here. Thanks for featuring that dang pear! It's getting so much press, I took Kari's advise in the previous post and made more of them today.
The funny thing is the stars and the pears sell really well, but I sell them cheap (that might change now that the pear is famous! ) and for what I go through to make them it isn't worth it, but the end product doesn't really look that difficult, well looks are deceiving, they are a pain in the ass to make, but they are so pretty, I fall in love with them when they are done.
I got these little wall tiles out of the kiln today, they came about randomly from a mistake but they are kinda nice.
This barn is nice, didn't get a shot of it in focus and I gotta go start dinner because I haven't found that "wife" yet, so I'll show you the whole barn later. Things are coming together here. I have my pieces ready for the Clay and Blogs show, pieces ready to go to the American Craft Today show at The Bascom and lots of good stuff for Festifall. Whew.......

8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Looks are deceiving on most pieces hand made, they take much longer than folks realize, that's for sure.

cookingwithgas said...

give me a wheel any day hand building is work!
I love that you have made more pears- and they look so good I want to eat one.
AND BTW- one of your barns is being used for our clay and blogs ad in Carolina arts for this month- I will save you one- don't let me forget!

Tracey Broome said...

Well, that's fun! As long as photos of my work get used and not photos if me! Definitely save me one, thanks.
and yes, my wheel is calling my name!

Kari Weaver said...

What are the sizes of those tiles? They look like happy accidents to me...

I sell a lot of these little bud vases, but they are a royal pain to make. I can't stop though since they're good sellers...

Tracey Broome said...

Hey Kari: the tiles are around 4X4 and 3X3, yeah, happy accident, I was pounding out some clay with my paddle to fit through the slab roller and noticed the pattern that was happening
so I cut them to a tile size and started playing. i love when that happens, makes you feel like an artist or something!

Judy Shreve said...

Tracey - isn't it crazy that sometimes the public doesn't realize how much work goes in to a simple looking piece. We had a long discussion in a class I was in -- about charging more for bigger things -- not more difficult things we make. The final consensus was that it was the maker's problem if it took too long to make -- the public would only spend more on something that looked like more. I don't agree!

Anyway -- I visited the Bascom last weekend. It is a fabulous place with a gorgeous display area & shop. And the women who work there were delightful -- knew everyone's work personally & shared info about the artists. And the work they carry -- drool-worthy.

Love the tiles! and the stars -- and the pears!!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Judy! We are taking my work up to the Bascom the end of September which also happens to be my birthday. Maybe we will just have to get my birthday present there!

Laura Farrow said...

you been busy! LOVE those tiles. xo