Tuesday, February 16, 2010

mardi Gras



Wesley's French teachers put together a Mardi Gras festival at school every year and they are very proud of it. Each student performs a skit, poem, movie, etc. Wes chose to play a piece by a french composer. Keep in mind she has only had a keyboard for a few months, no lessons, and she taught this to herself by going online and listening to it. Just think, if her mom would get her some lessons, what she could be doing! Gerry is just kicking ass at the Olympics, two aptopix today in snowboarding and tomorrow he gets to shoot his idol Shaun White. Lucky! I gave Gerry a snowboard for Christmas the year Wesley was born, he took it up the Mt. in some of the worst conditions the slopes have ever seen around here. Nearly complete white out and he launched himself down the slope, having no idea what he was doing, took a big fall, broke some ribs, and just kept going back for more. He is a great snowboarder, so I know he will love shooting this event. I tried snowboarding for awhile thinking since I was good at skateboarding it would be easy, not so. I hung in there for a while, we would put Wes in the ski lodge daycare and off we would go. I really did not like planting my face in the snow as much as I did, and I don't like the cold AT ALL so I eventually sat in the lodge with Wes while he went out.We got Wes a little board when she was three, she got nervous the first time, threw up and that was about it for her boarding! It just freaked her out. My girl! But she can play some music :)

10 comments:

ang design said...

far out she has a good ear for picking up a tune...way to go wes!..

Judy Shreve said...

Wes sounds great! She should take some lessons especially if she wants to study music in college - she certainly has a gift for music - and performance!

I loved your pieces in the last post! The triangle plates with the orbs - stunning!

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks Ang and Judy. Wes doesn't really have any interest in pursuing music in any professional way right now. She wants to study screenwriting and film. She has so much musical talent but just does it for fun. A shame really, she is really good.Her dad is the same way. He is a drummer and can play any instrument he picks up, but does it for fun.

Anonymous said...

love the song and wes is a real talent. i was always so envious of that ability. i roomed with a guy in college who could just pick up any instrument and go... it drove me crazy.

cookingwithgas said...

Now I have to go to another computer to listen to Wes- this one will no longer pick up videos!
I don't ski either- bad knees!

Tracey Broome said...

Jim, get Sophia a violin when she gets a bit older. Wes started in 3rd grade and it helped her in all kinds of ways. Her Math got better, and she learned a lot about music. She was lucky enough to go to a school in 6th grade that had an orchestra class and she really learned a lot there. Then it led to guitar and piano.

Tracey Broome said...

Meredith, one more parallel- bad knees for me too. I fell on my knees at church camp in the Mts. long ago and they have never been the same.

Laura Farrow said...

that's awesome, proud mama!

Hollis Engley said...

I'm trying this again. The last few days, for some reason, my comments don't show up on your blog.

Linda Starr said...

So beautiful, Wes is a natural, and what a beautiful melody and she plays with passion.