Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Coiling again

I worked on this coil pot most of the day today. I threw one 5 lb. vase while waiting to attach coils, and worked on a sculpture. Multi tasking, yes. I forgot how much I like making coil pots and I think they are going to work out in saggar fires. They are slow and tedious, but there is something very meditative about making them. Maybe I should call them meditation balls or something :)
Hollis Engley inspired me when he mentioned his blogger friend Maria Bosch the other day. She makes some great pit fired orbs that I really liked a lot. I think this one will get burnished and then red terra sig and sawdust firing.

I'll finish it up tomorrow, it's getting a bit unstable right now, the walls are pretty thin and as it gets taller it wants to collapse under the weight of the new coil.
Here are some of my favorite texture tools. I have had them since I took Debra Fritt's workshop at Arrowmont several years ago. I used them today on the sculpture below.
This little African is going to look so cool when I raku fire her. I figured since I was making coil pots I would finish up this sculpture I keep starting and stopping. If all goes well, I'm going to put her in the Artscenter's instructor show. Of course, now that she is dedicated to a show, she is sure to blow up or melt or something!

6 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

Nice looking coiled stuff, Tracey. I'm eager to see what it looks like fired.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Great coiled pot, and love the sculpture. How fun to have so many great projects underway!

Linda Starr said...

Love the coiled pot and sculpture and those texture tools are cool. Can't wait to see how they look fired, what a good time you look to be having.

Laura Farrow said...

nice african sculpture Tracey! it'll look amazing in the raku. xo

cindy shake said...

GREAT sculpture Tracey -and lucky you, Raku will be perfect!

cookingwithgas said...

she's wonderful!
I can't wait to see her!