Sunday, May 24, 2009

Raku today

So I'm just going to say it, Susan Wells, Laura Farrow, and me are three fierce women!!!
We started firing my kiln at noon today after having brunch and tea and finished up around 6pm. We fired four cycles. tested a bunch of glazes and temperatures and had a great time. During our second firing, just as the kiln reached temperature, it poured rain and we were soaked. If you enlarge this photo you can see how hard it was raining. We pulled the cans up under my shed in about 2 feet of space and managed to get everything in reduction. It got a little crazy.Then the sun came out and we got three more firings in.
My glaze area, cozy in the pouring rain.
Laura got some really nice pendants today.
One of Susan's bowls
Raku firing is not for the faint of heart. It is dirty, smelly and unpredictable, but the results can be spectacular if you can stand throwing a bunch away and not have any expectations. I got some nice pieces that are not cleaned up yet. I'm going climbing up at Hanging Rock tomorrow so I'll post pics later in the week.......

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Beautiful green bowl. Great shots of the firing, and four cycles, cool. have fun climbing.

Anonymous said...

that first pic is great... you should send it to a ceramics mag

Pottergirl said...

Beautiful work!!!