Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tacos and cupcakes

I am doing a two week arts immersion with the after school kids at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro. The theme is food, yum! Monday the kids just made their favorite foods, we had tacos, hot dogs, pot stickers, fruit, bacon, eggs, and my favorite, Tofu Man, from Morgan, he is going to be a genius adult one day, his imagination is crazy! Tuesday we made cupcake boxes that were soooo cool. Today we made Mother's Day presents, and there are going to be some moms crying on that day. Some really beautiful projects and sentiments today. It was one of those days that you say "oh yeah this is why I bust my ass for no money and lots of hard work"! the kids were amazing today. Some of them I have been teaching since 2005 and boy do they grow fast. Tomorrow a friend of mine is bringing her high school son with his ceramics class sculpture of "spaghetti man" the head is a meatballl and the body is all coils of spaghetti clay. I'll try to remember to shoot some pictures. It is all I can do to keep my head above water, I have about 35 kids, hence the reason for the sucky pictures I have posted. Am I making anything to fire in my kiln that is actually my own work and not a demo for a class? H.E.L.L No! Maybe in August, and I do have two days next week blocked out also for time to make some stuff to Raku on the 17th. I have really got to do something about this, but I love my kids!!

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

Thirty five kids, oh my goodness, that is exhausting just thinking of it. The food looks so real; in the first photo I thought you were doing some baking, that's a compliment to whoever made that piece and all the others. Good luck carving out some clay time for yourself - that must be so frustrating; I feel for you. I know I often feel myself getting irritable and cranky when my other responsibilities have to take precedence over my clay, I often wonder why, then I realize I am thinking about clay while I am something else.