Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life is Good

I spent last week at the beach with Wesley visiting my mom and then Gerry and I took Wesley and her band to Shakori Hills Grassroots Music Festival this weekend. Here are a few snaps I managed to get before I started stumbling around with the rest of the crowd, enjoying the great weather, the fantastic musicians, artists, and a nice buzz from the cooler of Pale Moon Beer. Life is truly good. This is such a great festival and everyone was having their own little kind of fun. We managed to have four sixteen year olds with us and had no incident of drugs, alcohol or physical harm amongst them. They were great to be with, went their own merry way most of the time, but came and hung out with us some too, which was very nice. I feel like all of these kids are my own, and I love them to death!

I love this little oven, I guess used for pizza, maybe bread? I want one
Wesley, my Shakori chick
This van was so cool inside but to dark to shoot any good pictures and I couldn't read the ISO on my camera, focusing problems :) Someone told me it had gone to Burning Man, wouldn't surprise me. It was a work of art.
the hood of the van


Jeff Martin's booth was very busy and so was he, lots of people gathered around him as he painted and I wasn't sure I could form intelligent sentences, so Hi Jeff! Sorry I didn't stop and chat. Hope it was a good show for you, I would like to do this show I think.....
Is this the Avery Tileworks booth?
Here was the last picture I managed to shoot before I just gave up and had a bunch of fun. If you haven't been to Shakori before, you really must check it out in the fall!! Ahh....... Monday I'm back to work with another residency that I am not looking forward to since I haven't been paid yet for the last two I did. I'm sure I'll be paid eventually but really, people, I need the money. This is doing little for my motivation to teach kid's classes. It's a lot of work for very little pay, just warm and fuzzy rewards, which are nice, but warm and fuzzy isn't going to get Wes to college. I have been thinking this week that if I spent as much time on my own pottery as I do on rolling slabs and loading kilns and glazing kid's stuff, I could produce enough work to probably make up the income that I can't even get anyway. I have got to figure something out after I get through this summer. I'll be way burnt out anyway so that will help with my decision making I'm sure......

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

What a great vacation, sounds like a wonderful festival. I've always wanted one of those outdoor ovens too. Good luck with your residency.

Laura Farrow said...

heya! did you see my hubby workin the main stage? I was hoping to see the Horseflies and Rachid Taha but alas, I was chained to the studio all weekend. Not that I got it all done, but progress was made. The opening is this Friday in conjuction with Hillsborough's Last Friday art event. Come on out if you're not too exhausted from the week! xo

Anonymous said...

wow... looks like a great way to spend the day, music beer and pots.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

What fun! I really enjoyed reading this post, except the part about the non-payment of the two residencies. That's not cool at all. I hope that gets resolved for you, and that this new one is different!

Tracey Broome said...

hey Laura, we did see Bob from a distance. Wesley and Jonas got up on stage with the Horseflies I think it was the Horseflies,and danced until they got kicked off. Jim, there was pots there :) and lots of good music!
Thanks all for the well wishes on the residencies, still no check, but I'm doing another one this week. Some of these kids I have taught for almost five years and it's hard to quit on them. Today, no one had to be told to put their name on anything or to score and slip, or explain the tools, they just went for it. I told them they must have had a great teacher- ha!