Monday, March 9, 2009

Intention

Sunday morning I started this coil pot, and as usual it took on a life of it's own. These things never turn out like I think they will, they just go where they want to. I learned to make coil pots from Meredith Brickell, who is a wonderful clay artist.I learned to use a serrated rib to scrape the surface to even out the coils from Meredith. That takes a lot of time and makes a huge mess. I was watching a youtube video Saturday of a Korean potter making onggi pots and he just used a paddle and anvil to flatten out the coils. I didn't have an anvil but I did have a nice flat rock I got from the Pigeon River in Tenn. so I tried that and it worked really well. Much easier and less time consuming.
By Sunday night, I had a 12 pound 20" vase. I love making these, I just sort of go into a trance with them. I'll probably raku this once I figure out how to lift a 12lb. pot from the kiln! Once it's fired I am planning on adding some sort of rope, shells, found objects, something, not quite sure yet, whatever I find. I have been reading a lot of books on African sculpture and pottery lately and I guess I am being influenced by all of that right now. We'll see.....

4 comments:

Michael Mahan said...

Nice pot. Good luck with the lifting. Looking forward to seeing it fired.

Michael

Laura Farrow said...

That totally ROCKS, Tracey. Love it. xo

Tracey Broome said...

Thanks guys. Wish I could throw one this big! It takes me awhile to get into the coiling mood and I have to have a day to dedicate to it, because I can't make myself stop once I start.

Linda Starr said...

Very nice and I really like the sprigs and deco at the top. Can't wait to see your raku adventures.