Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hand me downs

I've been sick all week either from a bug my kid's gave me last Friday or from inhaling too much raku smoke on Saturday (or a combination of the two) but I have felt like crap all week and have done nothing but lay on the sofa with my laptop and TV. My brain is mush now and I have got to get back into reality. Do you know how lame daytime TV is? WTF!! Anyway, since I have done nothing pottery related, except read blogs, I thought I would share some of my favorite pots I got from my grandmother's house. These all came from Seagrove, but I don't know which pottery. None are signed, but they are all at least 50 years old of not older. Anyone got any ideas? My mom said most likely Cole Pottery but I don't know......


Don't you love the price tag on this one?


6 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Those are beautiful pots, what a lovely collection. I have no idea who the pottery/potter is though.

Judy Shreve said...

Hope you feel better soon. It's no fun to be sick. I have some old pottery jugs too. They belonged to my husband's family. I love them -- & yours too. It would be so cool to know who made them.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

What a treasure! Those pots are really special. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. HOpe today was better!

Sister Creek Potter said...

Tracey, How are you feeling? Awful to be sick.
I am wondering where you keep these wonderful pots. Are they always on view in your home or do you have them packed away for occasional display?

Peter said...

Love the pots. I was wondering how tall the first one is and what it would have been used for? Did it once have a lid? The lug handles are really nicely done. The 2 dollar copper red pot is fascinating. Do you think it was glaze fired twice, with a copper red glaze being rubbed into the crackle of the first glaze. It is a most interesting effect?? Sorry to read that you have been sick, I do hope you are much better by now. I enjoy reading your blog. P.

Tracey Broome said...

Hi guys: Nice to hear from all of you! Gay, I have an old farm table in my house that I got from the Charlotte Rep when I worked there (that was used by Hillary Swank in The Miracle Worker) and I have a bunch of pots sitting on that, all grouped together. Peter, the tall pot is 17" and it does have a lid with a hole in the middle for a churn handle. My grandmother said that her mother used it as a butter churn. I think the red glaze is just thinner in places, it looks like a pretty quick glaze job, with lots of runs and drips. I wonder how customers would like the price written in sharpie on the bottom of pots these days!? yes, feeling much better, thanks!!