Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vases

Well, there is my futile attempt at making vases today! That is a new 25 lb. of Raku clay. It was too soft, I could NOT wedge out the air bubbles, and it was all twisty at the bottom, even when I was sure it was centered. I was covered with clay by the end of the day with only one vase to show for my effort and lovely as it was, I cut the bottom out of it when I cut it off the wheel. It occurred to me that I am basically teaching myself to throw vases. I have taken a lot of classes, but mostly cup, bowl, plate demos. I have been making lots of bowls and cups, and hand building plates from slabs. No vases. Until now. I haven't really had anyone show me how to make a proper vase, so I'm just figuring it out. Maybe after I re wedge this clay it will be happier. Meanwhile, I finished up my coil bottle, and rather like it a lot. If the Raku goes well, I may donate this to the NC Pottery Center for the upcoming faces auction.
The face was made from a ceramic mold that I got on my trip to Asheboro with Barbara McKenzie, when we bought all of those 60's molds.
I'm thinking that I would like to make some bottles and jugs in the style of the old Seagrove jugs and Raku them. That could be very cool.

8 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

I had a similar day in my studio. I sure could tell I hadn't been at my wheel in over a week. Your vase is fabulous so it wasn't all a mess. Post a photo after you raku.

cookingwithgas said...

the best way to learn how to make something is to make it over and over- you are teaching yourself something- just keep at it.
The piece for the NCPC auction looks great! The face looks old and wise.

Tracey Broome said...

It's really weird but this face looks just like my grandmother. I didn't realize it until I took the clay out of the mold. And how ironic that she loved Seagrove and introduced me to pottery when I was little. I should name this bottle after her!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Love the coil bottle. What a perfect item for "faces" auction, and how generous of you to donate. Hope you post pics!

Laura Farrow said...

Nice bottle, Tracey. Will you raku it? Good mold choice too. Love the little hands especially. I'm stopping by your firing on Sat to chat up the peeps. See you then.
xo

Anonymous said...

oh yes! i dig the face/bottle combo. are you slipcasting or pressing in clay? also what auction, where do i go to find out? are you on facebook? what is your favorite food?..so many questions...

Tracey Broome said...

Jeff: I sent you an email about the NC Pottery Center, no Facebook, I tried it, but it was boring to me.
Favorite food- chicken and dumplings, collard greens and mac and cheese, comfort baby!

Linda Starr said...

Never mind throwing (speaking as one who can't throw worth beans), your coil vase is beautiful and the face (of your grandmother), just lovely. I hope to one day concentrate on throwing, but I need to set aside time and be left to my own devices, and I see I'd need to practice every day as Meredith says. Can't wait to see the firing of your vase, hope you post it.