Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New tools New view

My mom gave me some tools that had belonged to my grandmother over the holidays. The rolling pin was used to make biscuits, left to right on the bottom are a darning tool for sock repair, shoe hooks to lace boots, and a couple of awls. Of course I seem them all as possibilities for pottery tools. Gerry and Wesley gave me the butterfly wood cut that is for fabric stamping, but I see tile making in it's future. Up at the top is a slab of bark that was milled from a tree that I picked up out of the wood pile when we fired the wood kiln. Lots of plans for that one. The bark pattern is fantastic!
I really love this wood cut. Below is the new view from our kitchen table. Gerry and Wes also gave me this bird feeder and there have been up to twelve birds at a time on it. Two wood peckers are hanging out quite a bit and are so beautiful to see up close. Finally this week the squirrels figured out how to get to it, so I gotta figure out how to stop that. I came home yesterday and saw three of them sitting there munching all of the bird seed. My cat is loving to sit on the table and watch. Sort of like kitty torture for her I guess.
I haven't cleaned up my studio yet. I can't seem to get back in a mind set to work. I have been doing yoga, cleaning up files on my computer, getting house repairs done, and still putting away things and purging cabinets of unused stuff. I let so much go in the last six months just focusing on pottery and kilns, I'm really paying for it now. So much piled up. So, today is the day. It's rainy and muddy outside, good day for organizing inside.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome! love the butterfly..

cookingwithgas said...

Great tools- and I know what you mean. It is hard to go back in Jan. especially when the weather tells you to read a book or watch a movie.
Or do the paper work.......

Judy Shreve said...

I love your new tools. I have a couple of india batiking stamps too - I love them. Your bird feeder is great - but battling the squirrels is a never ending saga at our house. We've taken to hanging suets - squirrels can't get to them.
I'm having a hard time motivating myself as well. Going to the studio but producing hardly anything.
Oh well - it's good to get your house & files organized!

Hollis Engley said...

Love that butterfly, Tracey. And I have forced myself to go out into the studio since Christmas and am aiming for a firing by the end of January. I'm determined to fire regularly through the winter.

Linda Starr said...

Great butterfly and love that bark, I could have used it lately. My cats would go crazy with that bird feeder.

Jen Mecca said...

Boy can I relate to the pils! If I didn't have orders and shows coming up I would be right there with you. I even envy you!!

Great tools!jen