Monday, December 8, 2008

December 8, 1980

This is John the Bird. I'll tell you a little story about how he got his name. When we were in New York, Wesley wanted to go to Strawberry Fields in Central Park and see the Imagine medallion. We were sitting across from it on one of the benches watching all of the people that had come to gather there. Some had CD players playing John Lennon music, some were laying flowers down, some were doing strange things that only they knew about, and some younger kids just walked past paying this place no regard at all.We were just sitting quietly on the bench and Wes wanted us to respect the space and be quiet. As we sat there she commented about John's spirit and wondered if he might still be around. As soon as she made this comment, this little bird came over and jumped up on her hand. He stayed there for the longest time, just walking all over my daughter. Then he hopped over to me and then to Gerry. Keep in mind there were people all over the place, some even had food, but we were the quiet ones and this bird came and visited with us. Wesley decided that he was the reincarnation of John Lennon so we called him John the Bird. It was a magical moment. Rest in peace John..........

4 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

Oh wow - what a story. I truly believe spirits can enter birds. When my dad passed I had a bird that sat at my kitchen window for weeks - just chattering to me through the glass. Every time I've shared this story someone tells of their own bird visits after a loved one has passed.
What a truly spiritual moment for your family. Cool!

Tracey Broome said...

Judy, I had a similar bird thing happen when my dad died. My mom kept a poem called His eye is on the sparrow on her desk during my dad's long struggle with lung cancer. The moment before my dad died, a sparrow flew into my sliding glass door and died. Right after that my mom called to say that my dad had died. I knew before she told me. Strange isn't it?

Judy Shreve said...

Tracey - reading your comment gave me 'chills.' I'm sorry you lost your dad - but he definitely found a way to communicate his passing to you.

Becky said...

This was a beautiful post Tracey and I know it was a very special moment for you. I had a most amazing bird visit when my Mom crossed over too. Too long to relate in a comment but it was quite extraordinary and will never leave me.

Thank you for sharing your reminder of John. (I was visiting NYC when it happened.) It's good that people remember.