Thursday, July 31, 2008

Land & Sea

Have I mentioned how much I love working at the ArtsCenter?! I am so lucky that I found this place when we first moved to Chapel Hill. I had left a job with the Charlotte Rep that I truly loved and left a clay studio, Clayworks, that I also loved, because Gerry got this job with the Associated Press, his lifelong dream job. I had no idea what I would do. I walked in to the ArtsCenter and these people welcomed me with open arms. This is one of the greatest groups I have ever worked with, honestly!This painting is one of my all time favorite things any of my campers has ever made. It is such a joyful picture. The assignment was to bring in a favorite stuffed animal and paint it's portrait.
Here is my new best friend. My kids this week were 4 and 5 and so very talented. We learned about Arctic animals and made igloos and arctic animals out of clay. Of course the day we did this I forgot my camera. We made pinch pot animal bowls out of clay, again forgot my camera. I did remember by the time we started painting and here are some of the great examples:
This is the scenery for the show the kids will perform on Friday. I let them create this all by themselves. Usually if I get in there and start painting, I get carried away and it doesn't look like a little camper did it anymore! I really have to restrain myself.
We learned the art of Japanese Gyotaku fish printing. We used a rubber fish instead of the traditional method of using a real one, too stinky for these campers.
My daughter and her best friend came in and face painted today.

And the BEST counselor EVER!!!!! Wesley.

No comments: